手机刷机精灵驱动:【英语】精彩习语汇总【Practical English:】

来源:百度文库 编辑:偶看新闻 时间:2024/04/27 18:57:01




Practical English: 精彩习语汇总(1)
在路上360doc

 

1.as soft as down柔软如绒毛

例如:I lay fast asleep on the couch, which was as soft as down, and did not wake until late in the morning.

我在软如绒毛般的长沙发椅上睡着了,一直睡到早晨很晚才醒来。

2.be for the birds荒唐可笑的;毫无价值的

例如:Their opinions on art are simply for the birds.

他们对艺术的见解真是荒唐可笑。

3.as clear as mud  不清晰,混乱

例如:Your explanation is as clear as mud.

你的解释一点都不清晰。

4.a stone's throw 一箭之遥

例如:He lives only a stone's throw from here.

他住的地方离这儿只有一箭之遥。

5.a big fish in a small pond小地方的大人物

例如:In her hometown, she was a big fish in a small pond,but after she moved to New York, she was just only one among many millions.

在她家乡,她很了不起。可是搬到纽约后,她就不过是芸芸众生之一了。 

6.too (clever) by half 可太聪明啦(贬义);聪明过了头

例如:A:He thought he could get Mr. Green's money in his pocket but he lost all, he was too clever by half.

B:The fact is he never realizes that. He always starts out tricking others and ends up being tricked.

A:That's the point. He once lost his briefcase by asking a "blind man" to take care of it for him.

A:他以为自己能把格林先生的钱据为己有,但却一分也没得到,他可是聪明过头了。

B:事实是他从没有认识到这一点。他总是开始时骗别人,到最后却被别人骗。

A:对啦,这才是要害。他曾丢过一个公文包,原因是让一个“盲人”帮他看包。

7.thin air 子虚乌有

A:Jim, can you write a report for me?

B:Yes, I can, but you'll have to give me all the data. I can't create something out of thin air, you know.

A:No, problem.

A:吉姆,你能为我写份报告吗?

B:可以,但你必须给我提供所有的数据,你知道,我不能凭空捏造。

A:没问题。 

8.well up in 精通;擅长

A:It's said you're well up in literature.

B:You're partial. I just like it.

A:Can you show me how to learn literature?

B:That's a hard question. I've been reading and trying to write out my ideas.

A:据说你很擅长文学。

B:你说的不完全对,我只不过是爱好文学。

A:你能告诉我怎样学习文学吗?

B:这个问题很难回答。我一直在读书,并努力写出自己的感想。

9.poor apology for something 有名无实

A:Did you have a good time during your holidays.

B:Generally speaking yes. The restaurant I stayed in has a nice atmosphere, but they serve a poor apology for a meal.

A:How long did you stay there?

B:10 days. 

A:假期过的好吗?

B:总的来说还可以。我住的酒店氛围还不错,只是饭菜有名无实。

A:你在那儿住了多久?

B:10天

10.have an itching palm 贪财

A:Don't trust Ben.

B:Why?

A:He has an itching palm and is sure to cheat you out of your share of the profits.

B:Then I must be careful about him.

A:别信任本。

B:为什么?

A:他很贪财,肯定会从你身上骗得好处。

B:那我必须小心了。  

Practical English: 精彩习语汇总(2)

 

1.have a sweet tooth 喜爱甜食

例如:A:Alana is getting fatter and fatter. Why doesn't she try to lose some weight?

A:阿兰娜越来越胖了,她为什么不试着减肥呢?

B:She has a sweet tooth and loves meat more than anything else.

B:她偏好甜食而且最喜欢吃肉。

A:No wonder she's getting weight so fast.

A:怪不得她胖的这么快。

B:But now she's come to realize the consequences and decided to cut down on candies and desserts.

B:但现在她已渐渐意识到后果严重了,并决心少吃糖果和甜点。

2.in one's heart of hearts 在心里

例如:A:Are you really dating with Tom?

A:你真的在和汤姆约会吗?

B:Yeah. But in my heart of hearts, I find he's not very to my liking.

B:是的,可是,我并不是从心眼里喜欢他。

A:Then why not keep away from him?

A:那你干吗不离开他呢?

B:The problem is that I just have no one to turn right now.

B:问题是我还没有找到更好的人。

A:That's stupid.

A:这样做真愚蠢。

3.have head like a sieve 健忘

Sieve:“漏勺,筛”的意思,have head like a sieve意思是“健忘”就不难理解了。

例如:A:What's that man's name?

A:那位先生叫什么来着?

B:I thought you'd been introduced to him twice.

B:我想已经给你介绍了两次了。

A:Yeah. But I still cannot remember his name. I've got a head like a sieve.

A:不错。但我还是没有记住 他的名字,我很健忘。 

4.harp on 责骂;批评;申斥

A:My mother always harps on me.

A:我妈总是责骂我。

B:So does my mother. They're just like that, I'm already used to it.

B:我妈也是。她们就是那样。我已经习惯了。

A:But I can't bear it.

A:但我不能忍受了。

B:What they do is just for our good.

B:她们那样做也是为我们好。

5.have it over 比…..好些;胜过

A:It's pity that I haven't been to many countries.

A:真遗憾很多国家我都没去过。

B:But I think you have it over me. I've never been out of China.

B:但我想你总比我要好。我从来都没出过中国。

A:Never?

A:从来都没出去过?

B:Never. I am not joking.

B:从来都没有。我没有开玩笑。

6.have it in one 有能力(做某事)

A:Harry was elected monitor at the class meeting yesterday.

A:昨天哈里在班会上被选为班长。

B:Do you think he has it in him to be a good monitor?

B:你认为他有能力成为一名好班长吗?

A:He's a good student as far as his achievement is concerned. But I really can't tell whether he'll make a good monitor.

A:就他的成绩来说他是一名好学生。但他是不是能当个好班长,我也说不好。 

7.search me (非正式)不知道

A:Where's Annie?

A:安妮呢?

B:In the house.

B:在屋里。

A:In the house? Where is she?

A:在屋里?在哪儿呢?

B:Search me, I don't know where she is now.

B:不知道,我也搞不清。

8.rat race 激烈的竞争

A:America is a rich country. Many people are dreaming of going there but you came back.

A:美国是个富裕的国读。很多人都梦想去那儿,但你却回来了。

B:To tell you the truth, I'm very happy with my modest job here and the peaceful life.

B:坦白地说,我很满意自己在这里的普通工作和平静生活。

A:New York is exciting, isn't it?

A:纽约很令人兴奋,不是吗?

B:Yes, but I have no desire to take part in the rat race there.

B:是的。但我却无心卷入那种你死我活的竞争。

9.school of hard knocks 艰苦的磨练

A:My boss is such a shrewd businessman everyone admires him.

A:我的老板是个非常精明的生意人,每个人都很欣赏他。

B:Which university did he graduate from?

B:他是从哪所大学毕业的?

A:He never went to high school. He was educated in the school of hard knocks.

A:连高中都没上过。他是受了艰苦的磨练而成长起来的。

B:That's incredible.

B:真是难以置信。 

10.the benefit of the doubt (在证据不足情况下)假定某人无辜

A:Who did it?

A:这是谁干的?

B:Don't be so angry, Henry?

B:亨利,别发那么大的火好不好?

A:It must be Robert.

A:准是罗伯特干的。

B:Maybe Robert did it, maybe he didn't. If I were you, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. It's not so important anyway.

B:也许是罗伯特干的,也许不是。如果我是你,我就先假定不是他干的。不管怎么说这件事也没什么大不了的。 

Practical English: 精彩习语汇总(3)

 

1.make a clean breast of…忏悔

A:You're restless. Are you in trouble?

A:你老是不安?有麻烦吗?

B:I've done something I shouldn't

B:我做了件不该做的事。

A:Then make a clean breast of it, you will feel released.

.A:那就彻底忏悔一下吧。你会感觉轻松一些的。

B:I've not decided yet.

B:我还没决定呢。

2.the last straw 忍无可忍

A:That was the last straw!

A:真是让人忍无可忍!

B:Why did you say that? Did your girlfriend do anything wrong?

B:你为什么这么说?你女朋友做什么错事了吗?

A:She refused to see me. She must have fallen in love with another guy.

A:她拒绝见我,她一定是爱上别人了。

B:I don't believe it. Talk with her, will you? There must be some misunderstanding between you.

B:我不相信。和她谈谈,好吗?你们之间一定是发生什么误会了。

3.a storm in a teacup 风波;小事引起的轩然大波;小题大做

A:The husband can't understand why his wife got angry so easily.

A:丈夫不明白他妻子为什么那么容易生气。

B:He's too careless maybe.

B:可能他太粗心了。

A:No, it's not that. Actually it's a storm in a teacup. I also thought it's the women who is to blame.

A:不是,不是因为这个。实际上她是小题大做,我也觉得是他妻子不对。

B:Anyway the man has to consider his wife's feelings.

B:不管怎么说男人应该考虑作妻子的情绪。 

4.have seen better days 有过好日子

A:Look, Mrs. Thomas is such a beauty in her early eyes.

B:But Mr. Thomas is short, skinny and ugly.

A:Why do you think Mrs. Thomas married him?

B:He's certainly very poor now, but I think he's seen better days.

A:看,托马斯夫人年轻时这么漂亮。

B:可托马斯先生又矮、又瘦、又丑。

A:你猜他为什么要嫁给他?

B:他现在固然很穷,可我想他有过好日子。

5.mark time 原地踏步;停顿

A:Why did we stop?

A:我们为什么停下来?

B:No, we didn't really stop. We just marked time.

B:不,我们并没有真的停下来。我们只是原地踏步。

A:Marked time?

A:原地踏步?

B:Yeah, we have to pause until we get approval.

B:是的。我们不得不暂时停下待命。

6.fat chance(反语)微小的机会;极少的可能

A:I think it was Jason who stole my document.

A:我觉得是詹森偷了我的文件。

B:Fat chance!

B:不会的。

A:He's the only one who left here late.

A:他是唯一一个走得晚的人。

B:I know him. He'll never do that sort of thing.

B:我了解他,他决不会干这种事儿。 

7.no point 没理由

A:There's no point in losing temper on me. It's unfair!

A:没理由向我发火。这太不公平了!

B:What did you do to him?

B:你对他怎么了!

A:If I did something bad, I wouldn't blame him for getting angry with me. The point is that I did nothing wrong.

A:如果我做了坏事,我不会怪他生我的气。可事实是,我没做什么错事呀。

B:Maybe he thought you reported him to the manager.

B:说不定他以为是你向经理打了小报告。

8.con artist 大骗子手

A:Is this your first visit to this city?

A:这是你第一次游览这个城市吗?

B:Yes, why?

B:是呀,怎么了?

A:Perhaps I should warn you that this city is full of con artists.

A:也许我该提醒你这座城市有许多骗子手。

B:Thanks for telling. I'll take care.

B:谢谢,我会小心的。

9.bosom friends 知心朋友

A:Is Jack a friend of yours?

A:杰克是你的朋友吗?

B:Yes. He is one of my bosom friends.

B:是,他是我的一个知心朋友。

A:He's a nice guy as far as I know

A:我也知道他是一个好人。

B:You can be certain of that.

B:这点毫无疑问。 

10.fat cat 大款

A:Where're those popular actresses in our school time?

A:咱们上学时的那些女影星都哪去了?

B:Get into marriage.

B:结婚了呗!

A:Can everyone find a fat cat?

A:人人都能找到大款吗?

B:Everyone wants to, but not everyone succeeds.

B:人人都想,可并不是人人都能找到。 

Practical English: 精彩习语汇总(4)

 

1.a hen-pecked husband 妻管严;怕老婆的男人

A:Aunt is scolding uncle again.

B:Don't worry. Your uncle won't utter a word back.

A:I didn't know my uncle is a hen-pecked husband.

B:He isn't. He thinks it's not necessary to quarrel with women.

A:婶婶又在骂叔叔了。

B:别着急,你叔叔不会还口的。

A:我还不知道我叔叔是个妻管严。

B:他不是。他觉得和女人吵架没必要。

2.a hard nut 冥顽不化的人;无知无觉的人

A:Bob refused all his classmate's invitations.

B:I really couldn't understand him.

A:He's surely a hard nut, nobody likes approaching him.

B:We'd better also leave him alone.

A:鲍勃拒绝了班上所有人的邀请。

B:他这个人我真不明白。

A:他真是个脑子不开窍的人,没人愿意靠近他。

B:我们最好也别惹他。

3.a gay dog 快活的人

A:It's strange they should get along so well!

B:That's nothing unusual.

A:You don't know much about the couple.

One likes to be alone, but the other is a bit of a gay dog.

A:他们居然能处得这么好,太奇怪了。

B:没什么不寻常的。

A:你不了解这俩口子,一个喜欢独处,另一个却喜欢热闹。 

4.a dog in the manger 占着茅坑不拉屎的人,占有有利条件却不会利用的人

A:Give the skates to me!

B:You shut up!

A:If you don't know how to skate, why don't you give the skates to me? Don't be a dog in the manger.

A:把冰鞋给我!

B:你闭嘴!

A:你若不知道怎么滑冰,干吗不把冰鞋给我?别占着茅坑不拉屎了!

5.Sorry, it slipped my mind. 对不起,我忘了。

A:What are you doing? Don't you remember we have a date tonight?

B:I'm sorry, Mary. It slipped my mind. I'll be right over.

A:你在干什么?难道你忘了我们今晚有约会吗?

B:对不起,玛丽,我忘了。我这就过去。

6.I am so flattered. 真是过奖了。

A:You are the most beautiful woman I've ever met.

B:Oh, thank you. I'm so flattered.

A:你是我所见过的最美的女人。

B:哦,谢谢。真是过奖了。 

7.She's a thorn in his side. 她让他头大。

A:Richard has a nagging wife.

B:I know. She is a thorn in his side.

A:里查德的老婆很罗嗦。

B:我知道。她让他头大。

8.Beat it! 走开!

A:What do you mean by "Beat it!"

B:It means "Go away." But it's a very rude way of saying so.

A:"beat it"是什么意思?

B:就是“走开”的意思。不过,那是一种非常不礼貌的说法。

9.I have butterflies in my stomach. 我好紧张。

A:I have a job interview this afternoon.

B:Really? Have you butterflies in your stomach?

A:A little.

A:我今天下午要去参加求职面试。

B: 着的吗?你紧张吗?

A:有一点。

10.It's some movie! 这部电影真不错!

A: Did you see the movie "sleepless in Seattle"?

B: Yes. It's some movie!

A:你看过《西雅图未眠夜》吗?

B:是的,真是部好电影!