消防检查维护制度:英语脱口秀 五 (英中双语)

来源:百度文库 编辑:偶看新闻 时间:2024/04/28 20:23:09

流利英语脱口出
  
  1. reverse culture shock 逆向
文化冲击
  (指居住在国外一段时间的人回到自己故土时会经历的那种文化冲击)
  
  A: I am going to go back home!
  我快要回家啦。
  B: You must be very excited! You’ve been living in France for over 10 years!
  你肯定很激动吧,你已经在法国待了10几年了。
  A: Yes, and I am so looking forward to it!
   是啊,我真是迫不及待了。
  B: Be prepared for reverse culture shock.
  做好心理准备,可能你会经历逆向文化冲击。
  
  2. on top of另外
  (通常指在一系列其他问题之上,又存在了一个特别的新问题)
  
  A: Why do you look so worried?
   你为什么看起来这么忧愁啊?
  B: I was told that an extra 10 jobs would be cut in our company.
  有人告诉我,我们单位还要再裁掉10个人。
  A: What? On top of the 30 that were cut last month?
   什么?上个月不是才裁掉30个吗?这不是雪上加霜嘛!
  B: Yes. That’s why I am so worried.
  是啊,这就是我忧愁的原因了。
  
  3. pay sb. a compliment 夸赞某人
  
  A: I like little John, he is such a nice boy.
  我很喜欢小约翰,他真是个很好的男孩。
  B: Is it because he always pays you a compliment whenever he sees you?
  你这么说,是否因为他每次见到你都夸赞你呢?
  A: Well, don’t you like him?
   难道你不喜欢他吗?
  B: I am only kidding. I adore him. I wish I had a son like him!
  我开玩笑的。我很喜欢他。如果我有个像他一样的儿子就好了。
  
  4. put down (an animal) 宰杀(衰老或有病的动物)、弄死
  
  A: My dog was hit by a car yesterday.
  我的狗昨天被车撞了。
  B: Oh, my God! What happened afterwards?
  天哪,后来怎样了?
  A: I took it to the hospital immediately but it was so seriously hurt it was beyond cure and it suffered so much I had to choose to put it down.
  我立刻带它去了医院,但它伤势太重没法治了,熬着又很痛苦,我只有选择让它安乐死。
  B: Oh, I am so sorry to hear that!
  我很为你难过。
  
  5. have second thoughts 重新考虑后改变主意(想法)
  
  A: Why, you are back!
  哎哟,你怎么回来啦!
  B: Yes, I had thought of getting out of town, put some distance between us...
  是啊,我原来打算离开这里,和你隔开一段距离……
  A: Then you had second thoughts?
  接着你又改变想法啦?
  B: Yes, the moment I left the house, I realized how much I love you and I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving.
  是啊,我一离开这座房子,就意识到我多么爱你,我不能忍受离开你。
  
  6. dress code 着装要求
  
  A: I will go to my new job from next Monday on.
  我下周一开始就去新地方上班啦。
  B: Congratulations! Have you found out about the dress code?
  恭喜!你知道着装要求吗?
  A: Yes, smart casual.
  是的,商务便装类的。
  B: So no jeans, I suppose.
  就是不能穿牛仔裤之类的咯。
  
  7. wipe the slate clean 将过去的(错误、失误或欠债)一笔勾销
  
  A: What happened to William & Sons?
  威廉父子公司后来怎样了?
  B: Well, it seems that they declared bankruptcy.
  嗯,好像他们宣布破产了。
  A: So they have wiped the slate clean?
  那就是说他们能将过去一笔勾销咯?
  B: I think it unfair for their customers, but yes, they can start all over again now.
  是啊,我觉得对他们的客户来说有点不公平,不过他们倒是可以重新来过了。
  
  8. gut instinct 感觉
  
  A: Have you decided which job to take?
  你决定选哪个
工作了吗?
  B: Well, it is really hard to decide, each has its advantages and disadvantages.
  嗯,真的很难决定,因为两个工作各有其好处,也各有其弊端。
  A: Then I suggest you go with your gut instinct.
  这样的话,我建议你按照直觉去行事。
  B: I guess I should do that.
  我想我应该那么做。

      作者:何迅文/著  海外英语 07年8期

  “流利英语脱口出”栏目从2007年3月起,由目前正在英国留学、实习的原《海外英语》编辑何迅文自英国发来,大多为目前英国口语中的流行语,欢迎大家一同欣赏学习。。。。。。