物流港:考研英语词汇复习(103): encourage、inspire 、spur、urge ; discourae

来源:百度文库 编辑:偶看新闻 时间:2024/04/28 08:28:10

考研英语词汇复习(
103

 

                 encourageinspire spururge

                 discourae

 

                  佳中

 

encourage

inspire

spur

urge

      

          这组词都有“鼓励”,“激励”的意思。

 

encourage  “鼓励”,“激励”,指给人信心和希望, 激励人去做某事,或指受到鼓舞和激励使有信心和决心去做某事。

 

        1) We should increase input in education, give more support to rural education, encourage nongovernmental sectors to run schools.  

            (我们应该加大对教育的投入,更多支持农村教育,鼓励社会力量办学。)

 2) Most teachers encourage their students to take part in social activities.

            (大多数老师都鼓励学生参加社会活动。)

 3) More importantly, he hopes his story will encourage his colleagues to go forward.

            (更重要的是,他希望自己的经历能够激励他的同事奋发图强。)

 

inspire “鼓舞”,“激发”,多指常精神上给人鼓励,也可指用信心、决心或热情去鼓励某人。

 

        1) Her fervid enthusiasm inspired all of us to undertake the dangerous mission.

            (她的热情激励我们承担这项危险的任务。)

 2)Your high enthusiasm will be sure to inspire anybody around you.

     (你的热忱肯定会鼓励你身边的每一个人。)

        3) The sight and smell of the sea inspire courage and adventure, fear and romance.

           (海洋的景致和气息激发出人们勇气、冒险、敬畏与浪漫的情怀。)

 

spur “激励”,“鞭策”spur的本意是用马刺策马使其快跑,常引申出“鞭策”、“激励”的意思。

 

1) John was spurred by his desire to do better than all other boys in his class.

    (约翰想比班上所有的男孩都出色,这一愿望一直激励着他。)

       2) John was content with a modest level of success, but she kept spurring him on to something “higher” or “better”.

          (约翰有一点成绩就感到满足,但她一直鼓励他去“更高”、“更好”。)

       3)Several strong targets have been set to spur action and guide the way forward.

           (已经制订了若干大目标来激励和指导我们前进的道路上行动。)

 

urge  “力劝”、“敦促”、“怂恿”。语气较强,指不断地、热情地规劝、诱导、鼓励他人。

 

1) He urged me to pursue high education in England after I graduated from school.

  (他力劝我毕业后继续在英国接受高等教育。)

              2) My wife urges me to quit my present job and find a new one which can fulfil my potential.

        (我的妻子催促我放弃现在的工作,然后找份能发挥我潜能的新工作。)

 

 

discourage  “使气馁”、“劝阻”、“阻止”, encourage 的反义词,表示使某人失去信心而气馁,没有勇气做某事。常见结构是: discourage sth. 或 discourage sb from (doing) sth. 。

 

1) We will try our best to discourage him from this dangerous attempt which is doomed to failure.

          (我们将尽力劝阻他不要作这种注定要失败的危险尝试。)

       2) It was a long time before I could discourage him from risking investing in the doubtful program.

          (花了很长时间我才劝阻他不去冒投资这一可疑项目的风险。)