天津曙光里2019年拆:《應用英文》淺易的句子 「微妙」的含義(四)

来源:百度文库 编辑:偶看新闻 时间:2024/04/27 17:29:05
                       《應用英文》淺易的句子 「微妙」的含義(四) Stop putting on airs!

to put on airs指擺子,把自己顯得比別人好。

(superior behavior or act better than one is)

其他造句:

Be yourself; don't put on airs with others or you'll make no friends.

你就是你;別對他人擺架子,否則你會交不到朋友。

Some medical doctors have put on airs because they make more money.

一些醫師因為多賺錢,就神氣巴拉。

After getting a high-paying job, Ed is not putting on airs among his friends.

Ed 取得高薪工作後,沒有對他朋友擺架子。

Will you put on airs if you become a big shot one day?

假如有一天你變成大人物,你會目中無人嗎?

(big shot = big wheel是指大人物)

He is the salt of the earth.

The salt of the earth是指實事求是,忠忠耿耿,有優良品格的人,也就是最優秀的人 (very best kind of person; down to earth not changeable quality)

其他造句:

Mr. B has been the salt of the earth since I knew him.

自從我認識B先生以來,他是最優秀的人。

Being the salt of the earth, Mr. A is well liked by all of us.

A先生是位有高尚品格的人,我們大家都喜歡他。

If all our citizens had been the salt of the earth, we would have lived in a better place.

假如我們人民都有優良的品格,我們就能住在較好的環境。

Too bad we don't have more people who are the salt of the earth in this community.

真遺憾,我們沒有更多的好人住在這社區。

You need to stick to your guns sometimes.

To stick to one's guns 就是堅定自己立場或觀點 (to be firm with one's opinion or statement)

其他造句:

He will stick to his guns if he has decided something.

假如他決定事情,他會堅持立場。

I respect your way of sticking to your guns.

我尊重你所堅持的立場。

As Mr. A has stuck to his guns, you are unlikely to change his attitude.

A先生已經堅持他的立場,你不太可能改變他的態度。

(動詞時態:stick, stuck 或 sticked )

Mr. B is sticking to his guns whatever he tells his kids.

B先生對他的孩子不論說什麼,他都堅持他的立場。

The ball is in your court.

The ball is in someone's court 原意是球在你的一邊,現在是你回球的時候,也就是現在是你採取行動或立場的時候 ( it is your turn to take action )

( court 是網球場)

其他造句:

I have done my part; the ball is in your court.

我已做到我的本份,現在是你採取行動的時候。

也可用:

to leave the ball in someone's court:

就是讓某人做出反應或採取行動 ( let someone take action )

During the political campaign in Taiwan, Mr. Ma leaves the ball in Miss Chai's court on China policy.

台灣政治競選時,馬先生讓蔡小姐對中國政策做出回應。

As to weapon sales to Taiwan, China may leave the ball in America's court.

關於對台售武問題,中國可能讓美國做出回應。

(註:通常動詞用leave或put 時,後面介詞用in, 但也有人用動詞 throw 或 toss, 那麼介詞要用into)

He is walking the walk.

talk the talk (and) walk the walk 意思是說到做到,言行一致 (do as one has committed to),有時只說其中一半,其餘一半,也就不言可知了。

所以上句就是:他言行一致。(多半指人)

其他造句:

When you promise something, you have to walk the walk.

當你承諾一件事,你就得實現。

( promise something 也就是 talk the talk )

Walking the walk, not just talking the talk, will make an honest person.

要真正實行,不只是口頭說說,才是誠實的人。

The group on our project has been walking the walk.

從事我們項目的這群人,正在實幹著。

Don't worry; I will walk the walk, not merely talk the talk.

別擔心,我會真正做到,不是說說而已。

I don't like a person who just talks the talk, but does not walk the walk.

我不喜歡一個人只說而不做。(言行不一致)

(下期待續)